Frank Daniels Jr. honored
Frank Daniels Jr.
Frank Daniels Jr., chairman of The Pilot (Southern Pines, N.C.) and retired president and publisher of The News and Observer Publishing Company in Raleigh, N.C., was presented the Frank W. Mayborn Leadership Award Monday by SNPA at its annual News Industry Summit.
The Mayborn Award recognizes outstanding newspaper executives for their vision, community leadership and significant contributions to the newspaper industry.
The award, presented annually by SNPA, is named for Frank W. Mayborn, the former editor and publisher of the Temple (Texas) Daily Telegram and the Killeen (Texas) Daily Herald, who served as SNPA president in 1961-62.
As a committee member, committee chair and SNPA director, Mayborn provided key leadership throughout the 1950s and 1960s that formed the basis for the organization's future growth and success.
Until his death in 1987, Mayborn also served as one of the leading figures in broadcast and print media in Central Texas.
The award was announced by J. Stewart Bryan III, chairman of Media General and a past president of SNPA. Bryan, also a past recipient of the Mayborn Leadership Award, said he was honored to present this year’s award to his long-time friend and colleague “who has contributed so much to his community, to our industry and to our association – a man who has shared his experience and wisdom with us with unfailing strength and humor.”
Daniels comes from a family steeped in the newspaper industry. His grandfather bought the News & Observer in 1894 and served as publisher until 1948. Daniels succeeded his father as president and publisher in 1971.
Daniels has led nearly all of the key newspaper industry organizations:
- Chairman of The Associated Press, the American Newspaper Publishers Association Foundation (now National Newspaper Association) and the Newspaper Advertising Bureau.
- Treasurer and director of ANPA.
- President of the North Carolina Press Association, and president of SNPA from 1972-1973.
More recently, Daniels served with Bryan as co-chairman of the effort that raised nearly $9 million to fund the work of the SNPA Foundation.
Daniels recently served on the Board of Governors of the University of North Carolina.
Other organizations that have benefited from his leadership include:
- He was chairman of the Smithsonian National Board, Triangle United Way, the Greater Triangle Community Foundation, and the United Arts Council of Raleigh and Wake County.
- He has been a director of Smithsonian Business Ventures, Commonwealth Fund, Landmark Communications, Mutual Insurance Company, UNC Hospital Systems, Roses Stores and the Telecable Corporation.
- He has been a trustee of the Institute of Private Enterprise at the University of North Carolina, St. Mary's College and Peace College.
- He was also vice chairman of the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here